No PMT this year, admission to MBBS through NEET
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Punjab will not be holding the Pre-medical Entrance Test (PMT) this year for admission to MBBS and BDS seats in medical colleges. Baba Farid University, which used to conduct PMET, will now be filling up the seats through the national merit list, which will be drawn up following the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) — conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) in May.
Last year, the Punjab government had done away with conducting the common entrance test (CET) conducted by the Punjab Technical University (PTU) for admission to engineering colleges. The varsity then filled up the seats based on the AIEEE merit list.
"This reduces harassment and expenditure of parents and students. They have to appear in a single test now instead of appearing in several tests," said S S Gill, vice-chancellor of Baba Farid University of Medical Sciences.
The national test, NEET-UG 2013, follows the Medical Council of India regulations for a single entrance examination for admission to MBBS course. The Dental Council of India also notified that that admission to BDS course will also be through NEET. The application forms for the test are to be filled online only and the last date to apply is till end of January.
"An all India merit list and a state-wise merit list of qualified candidates will be prepared on the basis of NEET and candidates will be admitted to MBBS/BDS courses from the said list only. While 15 per cent of the seats will be filled from the national merit list, the rest of the 85 per cent seats will be filled from the state list," added Gill. NEET will also replace All India Pre-medical test (AIPMT) that was being conducted by the CBSE till last year for preparation of the national merit list.
Not all for NEET
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held