No TMC nominee against Pranab Mukherjee son Abhijit
Despite withdrawing support to the Congress-led UPA at the Centre, the Trinamool Congress has not put up a candidate for the Jangipur Lok Sabha bypoll. Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee, is the Congress nominee from the seat which is going to polls on October 10.
Saturday was the last day for filing nominations. Although BJP's Sudhanshu Biswas is also in the fray, the contest would be virtually between CPM's Muzaffar Hussain and Abhijit Mukherjee. The last day for withdrawal of nominations is September 29.
"I believe Mamata Banerjee gave a commitment to Pranabda that she would not field any candidate from here. It was a good gesture from our Chief Minister,'' Saugata Roy, former minister of state for Urban Development and a senior TMC leader, told The Indian Express.
"We cannot say we will have a cakewalk but what we can say is our fight has become less tough," a senior Congress leader said.
Md Sohrab, Leader of the Congress Legislature Party and MLA from Jangipur Assembly constituency, said they were not taking things lightly. "Abhijeet will finish the work his father started but could not complete because of his election to the highest office of the country. We are not complacent at all," he said.
The bypoll was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat to contest for the President's post.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow