Norway row: Couple get over 1 year in jail
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
An Indian software professional and his wife were on Tuesday held guilty of "serious child abuse" and sentenced to jail for 18 months and 15 months respectively.
V Chandra Sekhar and his wife Anupama, who were arrested last month, have a couple of days to go in for appeal, and their counsel indicated they would do so.
"In the view of the Oslo District Court, the couple deliberately burned their son's leg with a hot spoon or similar object, with the result that the child had burn marks measuring approximately 3x5 cm," an official statement said.
The court said that on one occasion the parents had even threatened to brand their seven-year-old son's tongue with a hot spoon. "The court also found that it had been proven that the parents had on several occasions hit the child with a belt or similar object... The abuse took place over six to seven months," it said.
The couple's relatives in Hyderabad have asked the Indian government to intervene.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'