Not allowed to gherao Tewari residence, anganwari workers give memo to Dewan
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
Going to gherao the residence of Union Minister Manish Tewari on Sunday evening, anganwari workers were stopped midway by Congress district president Pawan Dewan, who assured them to get their meeting arranged with the minister soon.
"The district president assured to get our demands heard and took the memorandum from us. So we cancelled our protest programme," said Hargobind Kaur, president of the Anganwari Workers' Union. As a part of their nationwide protest, the anganwari workers were to gherao the houses of local MPs, though the minister was in Delhi.
Asserting that they were demanding regularisation of helpers employed in anganwaris, Kaur said the government must construct buildings for such centres as the anganwaris were being run in dharmshalas or temples.
She said the government was to employ additional staff as the centres were being converted into crèches as well and would run till 3 pm instead of noon. "Instead of employing additional employees, we should be given this additional responsibility ," she added.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held