Notice to Khurshid trust over ‘misuse’ of funds
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Friday issued a notice to Dr Zakir Hussain Memorial Trust, run by External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid and his wife Louise, on a PIL seeking lodging of an FIR into the alleged embezzlement of Rs 1.30 crore of Central government funds meant for providing assistance to disabled persons during 2009-2010.
The direction came after the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of UP Police, which is conducting an inquiry into the matter, submitted a status report before the bench. The bench comprising Justices Uma Nath Singh and Dr Satish Chandra will hear the case next on February 21.
Assistant Advocate General (AAG) Bulbul Godiyal said the state government had handed over the inquiry into the matter to EOW on July 3 last year. Initially, the agency was conducting probe into the alleged embezzlement of funds in five districts, but later it was extended to 12 more districts.
The EOW has to question 524 persons. The agency has so far recorded statements of 36 of them. Of the 40 government officials, 12 have been questioned so far, said the AAG.
It will take four to five months for the EOW to complete the probe and arrive at a conclusion if an FIR has to be lodged into the matter, she added.
Petitioner Nutan Thakur said there was sufficient evidence which corroborates the irregularities done by the trust in misusing the grant sanctioned by the government.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held