Now, BEST bus kills biker in Malad
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
IN THE third accident involving a BEST bus in the past four days, a 22-year-old motorcyclist was killed after he was run over by a speeding bus on Sunday night in Malad (West).
According to the Malad police, the deceased has been identified as Leon Pascal Rodrigues, who worked in a shopping mall in Malad and stayed with his aunt in the Patel Nagar area near Orlem church in Malad (west). The victim's mother had moved to Dubai after his father died a few years ago.
The accident took place around 11.30 pm on Sunday when Rodrigues was heading towards his home from Marve Road on his motorcycle while the route number 272 BEST bus (MH01-N-8411) was allegedly speeding towards Malad station from Marve.
The police said when Rodrigues reached Lourdes Colony on Marve Road, the bus hit his bike from behind while trying to overtake.
Rodrigues lost control of the two-wheeler due to the collision and fell on the ground, following which he was crushed under the rear wheel of the bus.
"Rodrigues suffered severe injuries on his head and other parts of the body. The local residents gathered there and identified the victim. Irked by the driver's negligence, they threw stones at the bus," said Inspector Chandrakant Gurav of the Malad police station.
A police team in a patrolling van from the Malad police station, which was passing through the area, calmed the residents and rushed the victim to Bhagwati Hospital in Borivali (west). However, he was declared dead at the hospital.
"The bus driver, Santosh Jhende, has been arrested for causing death due to rash and negligent driving. Since the residents knew the victim, they informed his aunt and mother," said Gurav.
On Sunday afternoon, the Dadar police had arrested a 52-year-old BEST bus driver for allegedly running over a 17-year-old cyclist near Portuguese church in Dadar (west). Shubhav Shinde was on his way to his tuition classes when the accident took place.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held