NPF has politically cheated people of Nagaland: Jamir
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Former Nagaland chief minister and Congress leader S C Jamir has said the Naga People's Front (NPF) led government has 'politically cheated' the people and asserted that the Congress is the only party which could bring an early solution to the vexed Naga problem.
The veteran politician and five times chief minister of Nagaland, Jamir, who was also the Governor of Goa and Maharashtra and presently member of the Central Working Committee (CWC) AICC, campaigned for the Congress candidates in Dimapur district yesterday and lambasted the Neiphiu Rio led NPF government.
Stating that the NPF during the state Assembly elections in 2003 had assured to bring settlement to the Indo-Naga issue within 3 months after coming to power, he pointed that during their 10 years of rule despite having several rounds of talks with the Centre, the NPF could not achieve anything.
"They (NPF) have politically cheated the Naga people," he said, adding that they don't understand the seriousness and complexity of the Naga issue.
The Centre has no confidence on the NPF led Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) government as they have cheated the Naga people and themselves, he said.
"If we (Nagas) have to resolve the long standing Naga political issue we have two ways -- front door and back door," he said. Congress alone can go through the front door and explain to the government of India what really are the problems faced by the Nagas today.
"We have wasted 10 years and if Congress comes back to power, we will work towards bringing an early solution to the Naga problem, which is the biggest aspiration of the people," he said.
Maintaining that Naga people require a party which can deliver goods to the people, he said Congress is only party which can do so.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations