Obama-earrings sale skyrocket after Beyonce sports them
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
After pop diva Beyonce sported a pair of earrings bearing President Barack Obama's name, sale of the piece of jewelry has hit the roof with thousands being snapped up by fans across the world.
The 31-year-old singer, an ardent Obama supporter, was spotted in New York wearing the gold plated hoops designed by Puerto Rican Erik Pena.
Before Beyonce turned up in the handmade gold baubles emblazoned with Obama's name, Pena had sold only five pairs at USD 32 a pop, ABC News reported.
But in the week since Beyonce wore them, orders have poured in from all over the world, and Pena has now sold more than 1,300 sets.
Pena says her small office in Puerto Rico is dealing with such a demand that she's had to call in cousins to come help out at the boutique.
"If Obama wins, I'll remake them again, but I'll switch them up a bit. I'll have new plates made, with the year 2013, or maybe the word 'Rocks' or 'Won' so people can wear one earring with the word 'Obama' and the other with something different," said Pena.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations