Online petition against rapper Honey Singh for pornographic lyrics derogatory to women goes viral
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
In the wake of the recent outrage against Delhi gangrape, a group of social activists have filed an online petition protesting against a performance of rapper Honey Singh, alleging his lyrics were offensive towards women.
Does Bollywood degrade women? From Bachchan to Emraan Hashmi are the acts demeaning? Tell us.
The petition filed by one Kalpana Misra via Change.org has appealed for a ban on the Punjabi rapper's New Year's eve performance at a Gurgaon hotel on Monday.
"These pornographic lyrics are unacceptable and it is because of women-hating sentiments like these that men think that it's fine to do what they did on that bus, that December night in Delhi.
"Let's put a stop to these subversive lyrics that infiltrate the minds of people who don't know better and who then justify to themselves the rightness of a crime that harms another human being, sometimes so severely that they lose their lives," the petition stated.
When contacted, the Bristol hotel said they will go ahead with the performance as scheduled and that they were not aware of any such petition.
The rapper was unavailable for comment.
Honey Singh raps mostly in a mix of English and Punjabi and has lent his voice to recent Bollywood films like 'Khiladi 786', 'Cocktail' and 'Luv Shuv Te Chicken Khurana'.
Outrage against the rapper and his derogatory songs have been pouring on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter for the past few days.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow