Only you can give nation secular govt: DMK to Sonia
- BCCI says it can't control bookies, promises to 'fix' guilty players
- Counter-terrorism to top Indo-US Security dialogue agenda: Sushilkumar Shinde
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Pune Warriors bat, Ashok Dinda back
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives today, PM to seek early revival of border talks
- Telangana very much part of UPA national agenda: P C Chacko
After extending crucial support to the Centre on the FDI in retail issue, DMK on Saturday sought to cement its ties with UPA with its chief M Karunanidhi saying the nation "looks up to" UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi to provide a "secular and stable" government.
"As chairperson of UPA, you have been crossing a number of roadblocks tactfully and facing many hurdles successfully. As it is often said, obstacles are stepping stones to greater success," he said in a message to Sonia, who turns 67 on Sunday.
The nation "looks up to you only at this critical phase" to provide a secular and stable government at the Centre, he said adding that "despite certain impediments, the achievements of UPA government have been quite impressive". "The poor and middle classes of people of this country certainly realise your abiding interest in their livelihood and welfare," Karunanidhi said in the message.
DMK leaders led by T R Baalu met Sonia at her residence in Delhi and presented bouquets to her. Acknowledging that she received Karunanidhi's greetings, Sonia thanked the DMK leader.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet