Opportunity to create climate for safety of women: President
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
President Pranab Mukherjee, reacting to the death of the Delhi gangrape victim on Saturday said it is an opportunity for all, including the government, to resolve to create a climate conducive to protecting the honour of women in society.
Mukherjee, addressing the inauguration of the D Y Patil Knowledge City in Pune, towards the end of his speech, said, "I am sad because at the fag end of the year, a brave daughter of this country breathed her last. With courage and dignity, she died. Apart from expressing our deep condolence, and anger against these worst heinous offences, this can also provide an opportunity for all of us to resolve that henceforth, each and every one of us including the government, and authorities would strive to create a climate where the dignity, safety, security and honour of our mothers, sisters and daughters is protected."
"This should be our new year commitment," he said.
Speaking about the importance of institutions that encourage innovation, he said, "When the population is converted into well-educated and skilled human resource, nothing can stop the progress of the country. This is an opportune and appropriate time to bring in new concepts and ideas. Whenever innovation has stopped, the nation has been derailed and the community has failed."
He stressed adapting to the academic environment evolving across the world.
Governor K Sankaranarayanan, Tripura Governor D Y Patil, and Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan were present.
Chavan said India does not figure high on the world ranking of universities and new centres of academic excellence would play an important role in building a knowledge economy.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'