Orissa man gets death penalty for rape-murder
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
A fast-track Orissa court Thursday sentenced to death a man for raping and murdering a three-year-old girl.
Thidu Munda of Budhiapalli village in Sambalpur district is the second rapist-murderer sent to the gallows in the country this week.
In the backdrop of calls for speedy disposal of rape cases after the December 16 Delhi gangrape, court officials said it took less than four months for Sambalpur Additional District Judge Ashok Kumar Panda to conclude the trial and order that Munda be hanged to death for murdering the girl under section 302 of IPC. He also awarded the convict life imprisonment under for raping a minor girl.
Munda had lured the tribal girl by offering her food and then raped and murdered her on October 4, 2012. Her body was found seven days later. Munda, who is separated from his wife, was arrested soon after.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chiefís son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM