Osama’s killing scared IM suspect Danish
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
In May 2011, when a team of Navy Seals killed al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, Indian Mujahideen suspect Danish Riyaz, arrested last month by the NIA, was allegedly undergoing terror training. On that day, he was in New Delhi and watched the Osama operation coverage on television.
IM used Osama's video tapes and speeches to motivate the new recruits and Danish was one of them. But soon after Osama's killing, Danish started fearing for his life.
The killing left a deep impression in his mind and he started disassociating himself from IM and top operative Yasin Bhatkal, reveals the interrogation report of Danish.
According to interrogators, Danish was roped in by Yasin and given training first at a factory in Delhi's Meer Vihar and a hideout at Saramohanpur near Darbhanga between 2010 and 2011. The two first met at Al-Hira library in Darbhanga, which Danish used to frequent. Yasin had introduced himself as a hakim.
"After Osama's killing, Danish was scared. He thought he will meet a similar fate as his role model Osama," said a senior official.
Questioning of Danish also revealed that it was Yasin who gave money to other members of the group to meet daily expenses.
The NIA has also learnt that alleged IM operative Aftab Alam alias Farooq, arrested this week, had stayed with Yasin at the rented accommodation at Saramohanpur. Farooq was first arrested by Delhi Police in December 2011. Besides Farooq and Yasin, Waqas and Daniyal alias Tabrez , whose real identity is yet not clear, also stayed at this rented house, said officials.
Waqas and Tabrez are suspected Pakistani nationals and have been named by the Mumbai police in the 13/7 blasts.
According to the NIA, the trial IEDs for the Mumbai blasts in 2011 were assembled at this rented accommodation in Darbhanga. "Since Danish developed cold feet, he came back to Darbhanga without participating in the Mumbai blasts," an officialsaid.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow