Our stand on promotion quota has mass support: Mulayam
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Unemployment dole launch: 'Party will meet all its poll promises'
Samajwadi Party president Mulayam Singh Yadav on Sunday admitted that his party was isolated in its opposition to the constitutional amendment for reservation in promotions to SCs and STs in government jobs, but claimed that his party's stand was accepted by the masses and had become a national issue.
"There was a controversy in Parliament and there were reports in the the media that I was left alone," said Mulayam, but added that SP will only accept an arrangement which brings everyone —- Dalit, backward and upper class —- on a level footing.
Mulayam was speaking at an event organised here to launch the UP government's scheme to give unemployment allowance of Rs 1,000 a month to jobless youths. Mulayam, along with his son and Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, ceremonially gave cheques to 44 persons. As many as 10,000 beneficiaries had been brought from several districts and they were given cheques by officials.
Mulayam said that the SP government in the state, led by Akhilesh, will meet all the promises that the party had made in its election manifesto. "Nobody expected a clear majority for the SP in the Assembly elections. But it is a steady government. Now, the future depends on the conduct and attitude of ministers in public," he said.
Akhilesh said the state government had several achievements to its credit in its first six months. Distribution of unemployment allowance was one, and the state will soon get the benefit of Kanya Vidya Dhan scheme, under which schoolgirls will be given Rs 30,000 on passing Class XII for pursuing higher education, or for marriage.
The chief minister said that funds for unemployment allowance will be increased as the number of beneficiaries increases. The government has already received more than 5 lakh applications which are being processed.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet