Over 1,400 illegal huts in Ganpat Patil Nagar razed
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
BMC demolished Thursday over 1,400 illegal shanties at Ganpat Patil Nagar in Dahisar (West).
To dissuade dwellers from rebuilding huts, the civic body will uneven the ground.
"We will take JCBs and dumpers to the slum Friday to ensure shanties do not come up again," said Santosh Kumar Dhonde, assistant municipal commissioner of R-North Ward.
The demolition drive, which saw strong opposition from Congress corporators and slum-dwellers, was taken up to remove unauthorised shanties within 50 metres of mangroves.
Ganpat Patil Nagar on New Link Road in Borivali is in no-development coastal regulation zone and has about 10,000 illegal huts where 40,000 people stay.
"Shanties to be demolished had been marked the previous day, but residents did not agree to the marking. They claimed many marked shanties existed before 1995 and were legal. The demolition began at noon after eligibility was confirmed," a senior civic official.Congress corporator Shivanand Shetty said, "The residents were not informed of the demolition and the markings were not correct. These people have been living here for years, they cannot be thrown away like this."
More than 200 police personnel, 150 labourers, seven JCBs and 10 dumpers were used for the demolition.Shiv Sena corporator Abhishek Ghosalkar said, "We have been demanding action against such illegal structures for years. BMC used satellite images to determine illegal shanties in this slum. Of the over 10,000 huts in the locality, only 200-300 are legal."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’