Padma awards announced
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
The Padma Awards were announced on the eve of Republic Day on Friday.
Veteran theater actor and singer Jaymala Shiledar, tabla player Pandit Suresh Talwalkar and entrepreneur Milind Kamble are amongst the Puneites who will be receiving Padma Shri award this year.
Poet Mangesh Padgaonkar , veteran cooperative sector leader Shivajirao Patil, artist Kanak Rele and health expert Dr Nandkishore Laud from Maharashtra are the recipients of Padma Bhushan awards.
Actor Nana Patekar, social activist Nileema Mishra, Dr Rajendra Badwe, Dr Sharad Kale, Deepak Phatak and Sudha Malhotra are among other noted personalities from the state who have won Padma Shri.
Talwalkar was in the middle of his performance when the organisers came up with a bouquet of flowers. He said that for him blessings of his gurus and parents were the biggest form of recognition.
Kirti, daughter of Jaymala Shiledar, told Newsline on behalf of her mother, said the her mother dedicated her whole life to Sangeet Natak. (musical drama) and the award was a recognition of her life-long commitment to the art-form. Shivajirao Patil said the Padma award conferred upon him was recognition for his efforts in field of cooperative sector during last six decades.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held