Panchmahals man gets 4-day police remand for ‘rape, murder’
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The man charged with rape and murder of a seven-year-old girl at Narsingpur village in Santrampur taluka of tribal the Panchmahals district was remanded into police custody for four days by a local court in Santrampur late on Saturday evening.
Accused Mohan Macchar (32) was produced in the court of judicial magistrate (first class), P B Patel in Santrampur around 6 pm on Sunday.
"Macchar confessed in the court that he had killed the girl and that he regretted his action. On our application, the court granted police custody of Macchar till January 23," Lunvada circle police inspector (CPI), Harshad Sutar told The Indian Express on Sunday.
A farm labourer, Macchar, had lured the girl by telling her that he would get her kites on the evening of Uttarayan last Monday. After taking her to a nearby farm, the accused had allegedly raped the child before strangulating her to death.
Machhar was arraigned by Kadi police from Sindhrana village of Kadi taluka in Mehsana district on Thursday night. He was later handed over to Santrampur police and arrested on Friday. During interrogation, Macchar had reportedly told police that he was in an inebriated condition when he raped the girl.
Protests against rape incidents
People of Narsingpur village and Santrampur town took out a rally in protests of recent cases of rape and murder in Narsingpur and Babrol villages on Saturday afternoon. The protesters marched to the office of Santrampur mamlatdar and submitted him a memorandum demanding speedy trial of the cases in fast track courts and stern punishment for culprits.
Woman found dead: Police lodge rape and murder case
Ahmedabad: The Gandhinagar police Sunday lodged a case of rape and murder against some unidentified persons. Two days ago, semi-naked body of an unidentified woman was found in a cemetery at Sargasan village in the district. Forensic reports confirmed that she was raped and then hit by an iron object killing her on the spot, police said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow