Patil of Cong set to enter Rajya Sabha unopposed
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The Congress candidate for a Rajya Sabha bypoll in the state, Rajani Patil, will get elected unopposed, thanks to astute diplomacy by Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan.
The Chief Minister managed to convince leaders of main opposition parties, Shiv Sena and BJP, not to put up a candidate against her.
He held a meeting with BJP-SS leaders, including Vinod Tawde, Eknath Khadse and Subhash Desai, early Wednesday morning.
"We decided to not field a candidate after a CM request. We are happy a women from Marathwada is getting the chance to serve the people of the region," senior Sena leader Desai said.
The Chief Minister is supposed to have impressed upon the opposition to allow Patil a smooth sailing as the seat was earlier represented by former Chief Minister the late Vilasrao Deshmukh.
"Another reason we are not putting up a candidate is our respect for Vilasrao. He was a leader who took everyone along in making decisions and we felt not putting up a candidate would be a fitting homage to him," senior BJP leader Khadse said.
The opposition, however, did not miss the opportunity to point out that a similar request to Congress-NCP to not contest a seat that fell vacant after the demise of BJP leader Pramod Mahajan had gone unheeded.
Patil (54), a Gandhi family loyalist, will occupy a Rajya Sabha seat that fell vacant due to the death of Deshumkh on August 14 last year.
His term in Rajya Sabha was to end on April 2, 2018. Wednesday was the last date for filing nominations.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow