Patil rushes to accident site; 175 fined for speeding
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Home Minister R R Patil on Tuesday visited the site of the accident on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway on Monday morning that killed five persons. The spot was metres away from where a car crash December 23, had claimed the lives of Marathi actors Anand Abhyankar and Akshay Pendse, and Pendse's son Pratyush.
Patil held a discussion with state highway police officials and later told mediapersons that steps are being taken to increase the height of medians, a measure he had announced recently, as early as possible.
A Pune-bound car had crossed the median and rammed into a car in the opposite lane near Pavana police chowk, at the 74-km milestone on the Expressway around 8.30am Monday.
On Tuesday, the highway police and Pune rural police teams conducted a joint drive against vehicles crossing the speed limit on the expressway. Police teams fined about 175 vehicles for crossing the 80-kmph limit.
The action was taken at Urse toll-post in presence of SP, state highway police, Dilip Bhujbal and SP, Pune (rural) police Manoj Lohiya. Two inspectors and 25 constables were deployed for taking action against errant vehicles. Police used speed guns to identify vehicles that crossed the speed bar.
"Home Minister R R Patil visited the spot this afternoon and reviewed the situation," said Bhujbal. The police appealed drivers to maintain the speed limit on the Pune-Mumbai Expressway.
On Monday evening, three including actor Bhalchandra Kadam were injured in another mishap on the Expressway after their car tyre burst.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow