Peaceful protests in Mumbai to mourn death of gang-rape victim
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The death of the 23-year-old Delhi gang-rape victim today prompted peaceful protests and sharp reactions from political leaders and activists, with people from all walks of life joining in condolence meets and peace marches here.
RPI chief Ramdas Athawale mourned the girl's death, and asked his party workers not to celebrate the new year. On December 31, RPI workers would hold a candle march from Colaba to Gateway of India here, he said.
"Words can't express my sorrow," MPCC chief Manikrao Thakre said. "The real tribute to the brave girl would be to eradicate the menace of such inhuman behaviour from the society," he said.
BJP workers also held a condolence meet at Azad Maidan.
Actress and activist Shabana Azmi, who walked in a silent protest march from Juhu beach to Kaifi Azmi Park, termed the death as a "clarion call", saying that "we cannot let the anger pass. It will be a greater betrayal. We have to do some soul searching".
Activists of the Aam Admi Party also held a peace march here. "We are torn between abject misery of losing her, extreme anger at a system that failed to protect her and the guilt that somewhere we are responsible for the crime," a party spokesperson said.
"We will channelise this grief, this anger, this guilt to make our country safer for her sisters. We dedicate ourselves to change the mindsets that allow such heinous behaviour to exist. We will protest relentlessly till such time that speedy justice systems are created for abuse victims and such strong punishments are meted out that they deter the inhuman creatures amongst us from even considering such crimes," she said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow