Petitioner seeks contempt proceedings against CBI
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Stating that the CBI had not completed its investigation, into alleged molestation of inmates at the Apna Ghar shelter home in Rohtak, within the two month deadline, a petition, filed in the Punjab and Haryana High Court on Wednesday, demanded contempt proceedings against the country's premier investigating agency.
Filed by advocate Utsav Singh Bains, the petition points out that while the CBI filed a charge-sheet against seven accused — Jaswanti, Sushma, Jai Bhagwan, Satish, Sheela, Jaswant and Veena on August 7 — before the Special Judicial Magistrate (CBI, Panchkula) three others — Haarvinder Singh, Daya Nand and Bhim Singh Ranga — have been granted bail as the investigations have not been completed against them and no charge sheet has been filed.
"Thus, the CBI failed to comply with the orders passed by the High Court and failed to complete the investigation within two months and failed to file a charge-sheet against the remaining three accused, who were involved in destruction of evidence in the case," reads the petition.
Significantly, Bains has submitted that on the basis of anonymity some witnesses and child rights activists have stated that the "accused on bail are threatening witnesses not to give any incriminating evidence or statements against them and other accused including Jaswanti Devi."
The petition will come up for hearing this week. The High Court had on July 19 disposed off the PIL filed by advocate Utsav Singh Bains by handing over the probe to the CBI. The Court had given, the premier investigating agency, two months time to complete its investigation.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held