Petty squabbles of civic body gain momentum in past few months
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The Municipal Corporation has, over the past few months, witnessed numerous petty squabbles. From councillors expressing resentment over invitations not being sent to them for events to non-inclusion of their names on invites, the councillors have had numerous grouses.
Among the most aggrieved councillors are Congress leaders, who have been increasingly complaining of being sidelined. Despite being the party in majority, the Congress councillors have several complaints. The most recent being that the mayor chose a BJP councillor to accompany her for a conference, rather than asking Congress leaders.
The Congress councillors had earlier expressed resentment when Mayor Raj Bala Malik after having completed 100 days in office held a conference to highlight the achievements without inviting the senior deputy mayor, deputy mayor and any councillor. The councillors, in fact are not in favour of the frequent tours of the Mayor to different states for conferences. They rued that while they were denied permission to attend study tours, the mayor had been frequently going for conferences.
Water supply and sewerage disposal committee chairman Mukesh Bassi boycotted the inauguration of a pumping station at Sector 28 reportedly because his name was not on the invitation card. Nominated councillor Surinder Bahga said that he had not been sent an invitation for the foundation stone laying ceremony of a primary school in Sector 49, despite his efforts to get the plan approved.
Municipal Corporation councillors have a history of tussles with officials. The distribution of power among the two is one of the most common issues. The elected representatives have demanded more power, including permission to write ACRs of the officers, but this has been denied to them.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow