Photo I-cards: Now, EC to collect details over phone
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
The voter registration process will become more convenient in UP soon as the Election Commission will now collect applicants' details over phone and issue Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC) after due verification process.
As the summary revision of electoral roll has been completed, the Chief Electoral Office (CEO) of UP has decided to introduce the facility of collecting details of voters over phone from January 15, after publication of draft electoral roll. An applicant will have to dial EC's helpline number - 1950- where the operator will collect details of applicant orally and fill his application form on-line. The form would be sent to Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) concerned through e-mail who will provide its printout to Booth Level Officer (BLO) concerned. The BLO will then visit the applicant's residence and verify the details provided in the form by checking the required documents for identity and residence proof.
After completing the formalities of verification, the applicant's name would be registered in the electoral roll and he would be issued an Electoral Photo Identity Card (EPIC). "Applicants would be able to contact the helpline number also to correct their details in electoral rolls and EPIC," said CEO Umesh Sinha.
Sinha said the service would make the voter registration process convenient particularly for those who cannot move out because of their busy schedule or health problems.
Officials said that voter registration application facility will also be made available at nearly 3,000 Common Service Centres (CSCs) set up in blocks across the state. After January 15, people could submit applications there and collect EPICs after verification. EC will use the National Informatics Centre gateway and assistance of its service providers at CSC to provide this facility. The EC staff will do the monitoring.
Sinha said all these facilities would be provided after the draft electoral roll was published on January 15.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held