Police say depressed doc tried to shoot psychiatrist
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A doctor, who police said is suffering from depression, attempted to shoot a psychiatrist in the OPD of a private hospital in Sahibabad, Ghaziabad, on Thursday afternoon.
Dr Kiran Pal, who has been arrested, had gone to consult psychiatrist Dr Sanjeev Gupta claiming he needed treatment for anxiety and stress, police said.
Superintendent of Police S S Yadav said Dr Pal complained of breathlessness and anxiety, and while Dr Gupta was checking him, he drew a pistol and attempted to shoot the psychiatrist.
According to Yadav, Dr Pal has claimed that he is suffering from depression because his divorce proceedings are underway. Dr Pal alleged that Dr Gupta, who knows his in-laws, had injected him with a "slow-acting poison".
Police said no one was injured since the hospital staff managed to overpower and disarm Dr Pal.
"The hospital staff hit Dr Pal with a fire extinguisher and also sprayed it on his face," Yadav said. Police said Dr Gupta denied the allegation of poisoning Dr Pal.
Yadav said: "Dr Gupta was going to check Dr Pal's pulse and blood pressure when the latter took out a gun and pointed it at Dr Gupta's head."
But the gun got stuck and Dr Pal could not shoot. "Dr Gupta ran out of the OPD and locked the accused inside. The accused managed to reload his gun and fired into the wall," Yadav said. "He is mentally unstable and has been suffering from a psychological ailment for a while," he said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held