President poll: Back Pranab, Bhuniya urges Trinamool
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
The West Bengal Congress Committee on Sunday appealed to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee to support Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee if the party high command makes him the Presidential candidate.
The request came from former WBPCC president Manas Bhuniya who also happens to be the Minister for Irrigation and Small and Medium Scale Industries in the West Bengal Cabinet. Incidentally, the present state Congress chief Pradip Bhatacharya has already made the same request to Banerjee. She had earlier said that she was in favour of candidates like Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, former President A P J Abdul Kalam or former West Bengal Governor Gopalkrishna Gandhi.
"The people of Bengal have been driven by emotion and they want Pranabbabu as President. We request Mamata Banerjee to endorse his name,'' Bhuniya told mediapersons in Kolkata.
A TMC leader told The Indian Express that the party leader had already indicated her choice to the Congress but she will wait for the latter's final choice before taking a call.
(With ENS Delhi)
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow