President’s medal for 875 police, paramilitary men
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) topped the list with 95 medals.
Police Medal for Gallantry (PMG) has been awarded to 115 personnel, President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service to 88 officers and Police Medal for Meritorious Service to 671 personnel.
"Thirty seven personnel have been awarded Correctional Service Medals," a statement issued by the Home Ministry said. President's Correctional Service Medal for meritorious service has been awarded to Om Prakash, Warder number 652, and Pradeep Kumar, Warder number 855 of the Delhi Prisons, Delhi government.
The CRPF got 95 medals under various categories. The force also got a maximum of 32 gallantry medals, including 14 posthumously, and the majority of them in anti-Maoist operations. It also won six President's Police Medals for Distinguished Service and 57 Police Medals for Meritorious Service.
CRPF Assistant Commandant N Manoranjan Singh and CoBRA (Combat Battalion for Resolute Action) commandos led by him unearthed a big arms manufacturing unit of the Naxals in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada in 2009. This operation, senior officials say, marked the beginning of a sustained offensive against Maoists in the country. The drive was termed 'Operation Greenhunt' in certain quarters as the codename was never officially endorsed by the government. The operation left six CRPF personnel dead and as many injured.
The awardees of President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service includes Vivek Sahay, IG, Zulfiquar Hasan, IG, Gurinder Jeet Singh, IG, Kulbeer Singh, IG, Umed Singh, IG, and Karkesh, IG.
President's Home Guards and Civil Defence Medal for Meritorious Service was given to Pramod Kumar Gupta, Instructor Civil Defence, Mahesh Chand Sharma, Instructor Civil Defence, and Rajender Kapoor, Senior Chief Warden (CD).
Thirty CISF personnel have been decorated with Presidents Police Medal. Those awarded include Deputy Inspector General Sudhir Kumar, Inspector General Pramod Phalnikar and Deputy Commandant I S Banyala.
Delhi Police on Friday announced that 21 personnel will receive awards on Republic Day. While Constable Naresh Kumar has been posthumously decorated with President's Police Medal for Gallantry, three others have been awarded the President's Police Medal for Distinguished Service. Joint Commissioner of Police Ashok Chand, known for forming the Special Cell, is among those conferred the medal. Seventeen policemen have been awarded with Police Medal for Meritorious Service, including Joint CP Nuzhat Hassan, Joint CP G C Dwivedi, SHO of Tughlaq Road police station Madan Gopal.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’