Prince Harry 'unlikely' to fight on front line again
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Prince Harry might never get the chance to fight on the front line again, after military sources confirmed there are no plans for him to return to Afghanistan.
It is almost inconceivable that he would be allowed to return as a foot soldier, his preferred option, meaning that unless the Nato withdrawal deadline overruns in Afghanistan, he will not be going back to Helmand, the Telegraph reports.
He is currently enjoying a month-long break from his Army duties following the end of his 20-week posting to Camp Bastion.
After his break he will return to Wattisham airfield in Suffolk, where his Army Air Corps squadron is based, to train for promotion from co-pilot to pilot.
He holds the rank of Captain, meaning he could apply for staff jobs based in the UK, but he may choose to remain a pilot for another 10 years or more, the report said.
That would mean that he could still see front-line service, but only if Britain goes to war on a new front.
A military source said that "there are five Apache squadrons and because Prince Harry's squadron has just returned, it would not be due to go back for another 20 months, by which time combat troops will have pulled out'.
Prince Harry is also expected to return to his royal duties in the coming weeks, and could be asked by the Queen to undertake a foreign tour in the spring, following the success of his visit to the Caribbean last year, the report added.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held