Probe ordered into Ajay Chautala’s Tihar speech
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
An inquiry has been ordered into the speech delivered through phone from Tihar by Ajay Chautala, son of former Haryana chief minister Om Prakash Chautala. Both Ajay and his father have been convicted by a special CBI court for their role in the JBT (Junior Basic Trained) teachers' recruitment scam.
Jail officials said that though inmates were allowed to make phone calls, addressing a rally was strictly prohibited under the rules. The inquiry will investigate if any of the officials were aware about Ajay using the phone to address a rally of his supporters at Sonepat on February 20. While Ajay is presently lodged in jail number two, the call was made from jail number three. The inquiry will probe the duration of the call. It has been reported that the speech lasted for more than five minutes. Jail officials said that the speech may have been recorded by Ajay on two different occasions, as rules do not allow a conversation to extend beyond five minutes.
The inquiry report is expected to be out by Tuesday afternoon.
Sunil Gupta, spokesperson of Tihar, said, "As per our phone facility inside the prison, no call can be extended beyond five minutes. The call gets disconnected automatically. The inquiry will ascertain whether his conversation was recorded and then played at the rally on a loud speaker or whether the inmate was put on loud speaker on the other side of the phone during the rally." Gupta said that inquiry committee would verify from which jail the call was made.
The use of mobile phones have become rampant in Tihar during in the last few months. Last month, the special cell arrested murder accused Amit Shukla for allegedly using a mobile phone to make an extortion call. Shukla had been caught with mobile phones four times between December and January.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow