Produce Anna, team before SC: Panthers Party
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party filed a habeas corpus petition in the Supreme Court on Wednesday seeking to produce Anna Hazare before it, staing his arrest was an outrageous act by the Delhi Police commissioner and the Home minister.
A habeas corpus is a writ through which a prisoner can be released from unlawful decision.
Party chief Professor Bhim Singh said Anna's arrest and that of his aides was a violation of Article 19 (freedom of speech), 21 (protection of life and personal liberty) 22 (protection against arrest) of the Indian Constitution.
He petitioned that the arrests were malafide and unconsitutional.
He prayed that Anna and his team be immediately released and produced before the Supreme Court.
The supreme Court registry has numbered the petition, and it is likely it will come up for hearing soon.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow