Production house owner wanted for acid assault
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
The police have launched a manhunt for the owner of a production house who allegedly threw acid on his girlfriend's face in front of her shocked family and friends at her home on Wednesday.
A case has been registered at the Dadar police station against Jerrit John, 46, for attacking 26-year-old Aryanka Hosbetkar.
Police said Hosbetkar, a physiotherapist by profession, has moved out from her home and is now living with a relative in an undisclosed location.
"The victim is scared that since John has not been arrested, he will attack her again. We are trying to trace John," said an inspector.
The police said this was not the first time that John had attacked Hosbetkar. Last month, after an argument, he had held her by the neck and banged her face against a wall, they said.
The couple, who have been together for the past 10 months, were having fights lately. Hosbetkar stopped seeing him after she found out that he was allegedly cheating on her.
On Wednesday, the police said, John came to Hosbetkar's home around 5 am while she was talking to friends outside the building. He dragged her inside and threw acid on her face. He then fled after locking Hosbetkar and others inside.
John, who previously worked with a music channel, started his own production house, 'No Nonsense Productions' in January 2007 along with his brother. It specialises in behind-the-scenes documentaries of feature films.
LJP MLA held in Nepal in abduction case
Lone LJP MLA Zakir Anwar was arrested on Friday in Morang district of Nepal in connection with a 2002 kidnapping case. The Araria MLA was held at Jhapa, where he had gone along with an old acquaintance. Confirming this, LJP spokesperson Lalan Kumar said: "We heard about this from family members of the MLA." Anwar was wanted in Tulsi Agrawal kidnapping case in which Rs 1 crore ransom was demanded. Morang SP Neeraj Bahadur Shahi also confirmed Anwar's arrest.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet