Humans may transform into hobbits as global warming takes hold
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Humans will have to become like 'The Lord of the Rings' hobbits to survive rapid climate change, a report has claimed.
It also warned of mass extinctions, if a predicted rise in temperatures was passed.
The report is based on the work of 30 scientists, who have been studying vast fossil deposits in the US and charting the period 55 million years ago, when Earth's temperature increased suddenly.
One successful strategy that was adopted by many species from horses to earthworms was to turn to dwarfism, so as to avoid starvation, the report said.
It also disclosed that as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive when food is liable to be scarce. In this situation smaller, Hobbit-sized people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving, the Daily Express reported.
The report has been published by the Climate News Network
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations