Rabbi Shergill composing song on outrage over gangrape incident
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
After joining protestors against the Delhi gangrape incident, singer-songwriter Rabbi Shergill of 'Bulla ki Jaana' fame is now working on a song on the ensuing outrage of the nation.
The Delhi-based singer, who had visited the protest site with Camille, said the incident shook his conscience.
"I received a sort of poem from someone on this issue, which carries a lot of anger and anguish. I have already put it into lyrics and now trying to compose the music. It should be out very soon. Through my music I'll do whatever is possible to heal these wounds," Rabbi said.
"I was so sad I wanted to leave the country but I didn't and I will now try and soothe the troubled souls through my song and music," he added.
The 39-year-old singer said it was shocking to know of the incident and it has grieved his entire family.
"If this anger is not channelised in the right direction, it might fizzle out. Our society has become misogynistic," said Rabbi, who is known for his soulful music, which is a mix of Rock, Punjabi folk and Sufi.
The singer, who recently sang 'Challa' in Yash Chopra film 'Jab Tak hai Jaan', was livid at the "popularity of item numbers".
"Aren't people disgusted by the kind of lyrics carried by songs like 'Fevicol', promoting obscenity no less?
"Today folk singers like me can sustain ourselves through the love and appreciation we receive but there are many artists who are living their lives in abject penury. But, I guess item numbers are more important for our society."
The singer-songwriter had earlier written a song in memory of the 26/11 Mumbai attack victims.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held