Humans may transform into hobbits as global warming takes hold
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Humans will have to become like 'The Lord of the Rings' hobbits to survive rapid climate change, a report has claimed.
It also warned of mass extinctions, if a predicted rise in temperatures was passed.
The report is based on the work of 30 scientists, who have been studying vast fossil deposits in the US and charting the period 55 million years ago, when Earth's temperature increased suddenly.
One successful strategy that was adopted by many species from horses to earthworms was to turn to dwarfism, so as to avoid starvation, the report said.
It also disclosed that as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive when food is liable to be scarce. In this situation smaller, Hobbit-sized people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving, the Daily Express reported.
The report has been published by the Climate News Network
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held