Rapes: Puri seer blames western culture
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Western influence is one of the main reasons behind the rise in incidents of rape in the country, said the Shankaracharya of Puri Swami Sri Nischalananda Saraswati on Wednesday.
Western influence through films, club culture and drugs has destroyed age old values and principles of the country, he said here. "There is need to change this. Before Independence we were able to maintain our culture and values but in the last 65 years we have lost a great part of it." "Such horrific incidents (Delhi gangrape) don't happen all of a sudden. They happen when the thin line of culture and values are crossed in the name of civilisation and development." He added that people should ponder over this and ensure that such incidents don't happen in the future.
"Earlier sisters and brothers roamed freely but nothing used to happen. There has been decline in human values, emotions ... Our culture and civilization teaches us to respect women, who are our sisters and mothers," he said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held