RBI governor meets FM ahead of policy review
Days before he is scheduled to announce the second quarter review of credit policy, Reserve Bank of India governor D Subbarao met finance minister P Chidambaram on Friday.
"I met the finance minister and reviewed macro-economic situation with him," Subbarao said after the meeting. The RBI is scheduled to review its monetary policy for Q2 on October 30.
The finance ministry has been pitching for a rate cut by the central bank to prop up flagging growth and revive industrial activity.
With factory output not showing much of a turnaround, Prime Minister's Economic Advisory Council chairman C Rangarajan has scaled down earlier GDP forecast of 6.7 per cent to 6 per cent in the current fiscal.
But the RBI's hands may be tied as headline inflation jumped to a 10 month high of 7.81 per cent in September while retail inflation stood at 9.73 per cent in the month.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations