Restaurateur receives 'death threats for refusing to host Romney'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
The owner of a Denver restaurant has revealed that he received 'death threats' after he declined to accept a visit by Republican candidate Mitt Romney, and said that he "could feel the hate in the air" at his business recently.
"On Thursday, it was horrible. It was dead. Yesterday, during lunch, you could feel the hate in the air," Oscar Aguirre, the owner of Rosa Linda's Mexican Cafe told Politico.
According to the report, Aguirre said the death threats came after the restaurant had turned down an offer by the Romney Campaign to drop by before Wednesday night's debate. But the Romney campaign condemned the situation.
"The Romney Campaign condemns this type of behavior in any situation. It's unfortunate that incorrect information being circulated as facts has led these community leaders to receive these threats," Romney spokesman Chris Walker said in a statement.
In August, a former Mormon missionary had asked Aguirre about using the restaurant for an unspecified Romney campaign event, but Aguirre's parents declined the offer, because of 'not being Republican'.
Now, Aguirre said that he's sorry for the trouble his family's refusal has caused, but added that the threats would not influence his vote either way.
"I want to extend an apology to Mr Romney, his campaign and his family. It's not fair to them either. It was someone who worked for them with good intentions on their part."
"My vote — I'm going to listen to the debates, and I'm going to read," he added.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow