Riot clips: Action against cops sought
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Citizen groups and activists were outraged over the video clips showing police in Dhule destroying property and looting shops earlier this month. They demanded suspension of the cops.
"The 1992-93 riots were the first wake-up call. Then Additional Commissioner V N Deshmukh, while deposing before Srikrishna Commission, said nearly 80 per cent of the constabulary were Shiv Sainiks. The clips show Maharashtra has still not addressed communalisation of police," said Teesta Setalvad.
Film director Mahesh Bhatt said, "The clips show lawmakers and enforcers are not doing their job. The government needs to come out of denial mode. It is time the state makes the policemen sit on the psychiatrist's couch."
Dhule MLA Anil Gote said he was planning to raise the issue in the upcoming Assembly session. "I will ask the Home Minister to take action."
State Minority Commission has demanded policemen in the clips be identified and suspended.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM