Rioting case: Kejriwal, Bhushan refuse bail, but released by court
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
In response, Kejriwal told the court that they respect the law of the land but whether to take bail is their right and they have decided not to take bail in the case.
"We respect the law and your (magistrate's) position. Our only weapon is truth and we are on that way only. We deliberately violated Sec 144 and we are ready to face the punishment. We have decided not to seek bail in this case," he said.
Bhushan, an accused in the case, argued that the imposition of Sec 144 by Delhi police was "illegal" and in violation of the orders passed by the Supreme Court.
"The point here is that this (imposition of Sec 144) has become the easiest way for police or the government to harass activists and political opponents...the chargesheet and trial is itself a punishment for us," he said.
Bhushan further said that Sec 144 is a provision which is meant to take care of an emergency situation only.
"How can the police apprehend that there was threat to law and order if we will march to PM's residence? We have been holding protests during our anti-corruption movement for a long time and nowhere we have indulged in any violent protest," he said.
Similarly, Sisodia and another AAP leader Kumar Vishwas, told the court that these are false cases registered by the police just to curb their anti-corruption protest against the government.
All the accused repeatedly told the court that they will not seek bail and will not furnish any bail bond or personal bond for their release.
According to the chargesheet, on August 26 last year, these accused had violated Sec 144 and had staged protest outside the residence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi against the alleged coal block allocation scam case.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’