Robbers strike 2 Dadri homes, 1 killed, 3 hurt
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
A group of robbers killed a 62-year-old man and injured three others in separate robbery attempts in Dadri, Greater Noida early morning on Monday.
Police said eight to 10 people entered the house of Jagdish Kumar around 1.30 am and assaulted him and his wife, Vimala, with lathis.
Half an hour later, the same group attacked another family in the neighbouring colony.
"Jagdish Kumar was a former employee of a government hospital. The men attacked him and his wife, but fled without stealing anything as their screams for help alerted the neighbours. Jagdish succumbed to injuries, Vimala is in a critical condition," a senior police officer said.
Police said the group then went to Ved Vir's house, in the adjoining colony. "They rang the doorbell and barged in. They attacked Ved Vir and his wife with lathis and made away with Rs 60,000 and jewellery worth Rs 2 lakh. The man and wife are recuperating in hospital and investigations are under way," an officer said.
Angry residents from the area gathered at the railway crossing on Monday and attempted to block traffic. "No trains were actually delayed as we managed to pacify the protesters and they agreed to leave the site," an officer said.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations