Robbery bid at jewellery shop foiled
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
An armed robbery bid at a jewellery shop was foiled early on Sunday morning in Vasna area under Vejalpur police station.
Four unidentified men armed with country-made pistols unlocked the shutter of Tirupati Jewelers and were lifting it up when two local youths arrived at the spot.
According to Vejalpur Police Inspector J B Rana, two of the robbers were trying to open the shutter of the shop while two of them were sitting in a car they had come in.
He said the robbers broke open the three locks and were about to open the shop when the locals spotted them and started shouting in order to wake up the residents.
This alarmed the robbers who fired couple of rounds in the air and ran away. Rana said there were four youths who are yet to be identified.
In a separate incident, a jewellery shop was burgled near Naranpura police station area late on Saturday night. The unidentified miscreants made away with silver jewellery worth over Rs 2 lakh.
The police said CCTV footage has captured the offenders who are likely to be caught soon.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations