Crimes against women: Cops unwilling to help after girl forced into prostitution
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Crimes against women: Nearly two months after a girl travelling along with her fiance was kidnapped from Ahmednagar and rescued from a brothel in Dhule told Pune police that she was allegedly beaten up by Additional Superintendent of Police Sanjay Barkund, the state government has decided to suspend him.
Home Minister R R Patil made the announcement while answering a question in the state legislature on Thursday.
Inspector Nawalnath Tambe of Tofkhana police station will also be suspended. He had allegedly not lodged a complaint when the girl had approached the police station after fleeing from the clutches of her abductors.
On January 3, the girl, originally from Uttar Pradesh, was going to Shirdi in a four-wheeler along with her fiance, who stays in Pune, when they took a halt at Ahmednagar. The girl was allegedly abducted by four unidentified persons, including a woman, when her fiance had gone to a washroom around 6.30 pm.
The Pune police had said the girl was allegedly dumped at a prostitution den at Shirpur in Dhule and was beaten by brothel-keepers when she refused to enter the flesh trade. She reportedly sought help from a brothel customer to call up her fiance and inform him about her plight a couple of days later. Her fiance contacted the Pune police through local activists. Pune police informed the Dhule police and the girl was reportedly rescued from the brothel.
On returning to Pune, she filed a complaint with the social security cell against the four alleged abductors. The case was registered at Koregaon Park police station and was to be transferred to Ahmednagar.
The girl, her fiance and a constable from Koregaon Park police station reached Tofkhana police station in Ahmednagar with the case papers on January 9 but the Ahmednagar police did not register a case. As per their statements, Barkund instead beat the girl and her fiance with a belt and abused the constable. The constable had said in his statement that Barkund had also used foul language against two senior officers of Pune.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow