RSS cracks worry BJP
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
A day after Vaidya blamed BJP for plotting the exit of Nitin Gadkari as party president, the political outfit shifted the blame right back.
Top BJP leaders in Maharashtra said, "The denial of a second term to Gadkari was handiwork of senior RSS leader Suresh Soni, who did not adequately consult Mohan Bhagwat."
There is simmering discontent in RSS and a suitable replacement for Soni is being sought to send across a strong message to the cadre that the RSS chief is the final authority. However, sources said, Soni did hold talks with RSS general secretary Bhaiya Joshi.
"Bhagwat had given his final approval to Gadkari. If they wanted to change the decision, they should have deferred presidential elections by a month," state leaders said.
Nobody in BJP is willing to come on record, but core committee discussions raised serious concern about the increasing differences in RSS.
A senior state BJP and RSS leader said, "The state unit is not worried about Gadkari. We have no problem accepting Rajnath Singh as party president. What has unsettled the cadre is the episode exposed differences within RSS."
The Nagpur headquartered RSS has always taken pride in its organisational abilities and clarity in decision-making. The wish of the RSS chief is command for the cadre. The state BJP unit, which was confident of Gadkari, was taken aback by the eleventh-hour change.
When the decision to drop Gadkari was conveyed, Bhagwat was in Panvel. The development at the Centre was Soni holding talks with Joshi.
Those in BJP who demanded the party president decision be deferred to facilitate more consultations were ignored by the central leadership.
RSS leaders hurt by the defiance of Bhagwat by the second rung want Soni replaced. Officially, RSS is underplaying the episode. It is trying to project the developments as an internal matter of BJP.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow