Samir Barua set to get another extension as IIM-A director
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL spot-fixing case: Delhi Police to trace money trail in four cities
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians bowl, Sachin Tendulkar misses out
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- 5 differently abled orphan girls beaten, raped in Jaipur residential school
IIM-Ahmedabad director Samir Barua is set to get another extension with the Board of Governors (BoG) having not met as yet to finalise his replacement.
BoG chairman A M Naik had on January 20, 2012, told mediapersons that a new director would be found within two or three weeks and his or her name would be recommended to the union human resource ministry for appointment.
However, one of the BoG members told The Indian Express that no meeting of BoG was held so far to finalise the name of the candidate. "Hence, there is no option for BoG now, excepting giving one more extension to Barua," he said.
Barua was given the first extension for three months on November 7, 2012, and his tenure expires on February 7.
Barua, who has been teaching at IIM-A for the last three decades, is the first director in the history of the premier institution to get extension. All other directors had to quit office on completion of their first term.
IIM-A sources said though routine work was not affected in the absence of a regular director, a number of important proposals were pending for clearance due the lack of a regular director.
Sources said that Naik was not able to take a final decision over the candidate for the crucial post because of differences among the members of the search panel formed for selecting names of candidates for the director's post. Sources said there was no agreement between Naik and the search panel members over the selection of the candidate and hence, the matter got delayed so long.
Neither Barua nor Naik could be contacted despite several efforts.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations