Samjhauta blast case: NIA court dismisses contempt petition filed by counsel of accused
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
The Special NIA court of Kanchan Mahi on Thursday dismissed the contempt application moved before it by the counsels of the Samjhauta blast case accused for not providing them the statements of the protected witnesses. The court dismissed the application after the counsels were given statements of protected witnesses last week.
The court also issued fresh production warrants against two accused - Rajender Chaudhary and Lokesh Sharma - on Thursday, and directed that they should be produced before the court on February 5. The arrest warrants were issued after the NIA told the court that Chaudhary had been remanded in judicial custody in the Malegaon blast case and therefore couldn't be produced before it.
The NIA counsel, R K Handa, told the court that the police custody of Chaudhary was extended up to January 30, but now he had been remanded in judicial custody, due to which he couldn't be produced before the court. The court was also informed by the NIA that another accused, Lokesh Sharma, has been sent on police remand, due to which they also couldn't produce the accused before it. The court was also informed that Sharma was in police remand till January 31.
Two of the main accused, Swami Asimanand and Kamal Chauhan, were also produced before the court on Thursday, after production warrants were issued against them. Sharma was represented in the case by Ajay Kaushik, who said that the NIA had no case against Sharma, and he was being false implicated in the matter.
The NIA had already filed the chargesheet against Asimanand, late Sunil Joshi, Ramchandra Kalsangra, Sandeep Dange, Lokesh Sharma, Chauhan and Amit alias Ashok in the case. The other accused in the case, Chaudhary, was arrested only last month, as he was absconding. NIA has produced fresh evidence in the case linking his involvement in the Samjhauta blast case.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations