Sanam Singh a step away from main draw of Aus Open play-off tourney
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Sanam Singh scored an easy straight-set win over China's De Zhu to move into the final round of the qualifiers of the Asia-Pacific Australian Open wild card play-off tournament, here today.
The Indian beat the local player 6-3 6-1 in the third round of the qualifiers.
Sanam, who had got byes in the first two rounds, will next face another Chinese, Zhizhen Zhang in the final round.
A win in the final round will take him to the main draw.
Two other Indians Davis Cuppers -- Yuki Bhambri and Vishnu Vardhan -- are already in the main draw after getting wild cards from All India Tennis Association.
Meanwhile, N Sriram Balaji has also entered the main draw since one country has not utilised its quota. Therefore, if Sanam also qualifies, India will have four players competing in the main draw.
Prerna Bhambri is India's lone entry in the women's singles category.
The winners of this tournament will get wild card entry into the 2013 Australian Open main draw.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM