Sangat Darshan remark lands CM in soup
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
A day after Chief minister Prakash Singh Badal said that "Sangat Darshan will be held immediately after the counting of Moga bypoll to solve the problems of the people", the Congress has decided to file a complaint with the Election Commission alleging violation of code of conduct.
"Both the Chief Minister and his deputy and son, Sukhbir Badal, are violating the poll code by giving such statements to influence the voters," Vikramjit Chaudhary, president, Punjab Youth Congress, said.
Joram Beda, returning officer for Moga said that a decision can be taken only after the media monitoring committee goes through Badal's statement as published in newspapers and other media.
Contacted, Arshdeep Thind, deputy commissioner, Moga, and head of media monitoring committee, said, "I can comment only after getting a report from the returning officer."
The chief electoral officer, Punjab, Kusumjit Sidhu, said she is out of station and "will comment only after going through the reports."
Meanwhile, the Congress also accused the Shiromani Akali Dal of misusing the government machinery and intimidating the Congress workers.
State Congress general secretary and in-charge of the party's campaign for Moga byelection, Rana Gurjeet Singh alleged that some Akali ministers and CPSs have even warned people of "consequences" if they failed to support Shiromani Akali Dal candidate in February 23 bypoll.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow