Saraswati Puja celebrated in West Bengal today
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
There was much gaiety today, particularly among the youth in West Bengal to celebrate the day of the goddess of education, Saraswati.
The goddess of art, wisdom and culture is worshipped on this day by students across Bengal and beyond.
The goddess is worshipped as much in homes as in schools – particularly since the Board exams are only a month away!
The daughter of Goddess Durga comes with the whole family in autumn, during Durga Puja.
She is also worshipped in other parts of the country at different times. In Maharashtra and Gujarat, Saraswati Puja starts with 'Saraswati Avahan' on 'Maha Saptami' and ends on 'Vijayadashami' with 'Saraswati Udwasan' or 'Visarjan' (idol immersion).
While in Eastern India, which includes West Bengal, the occasion is celebrated in the 'Magha' month (January-February).
It coincides with 'Vasant Panchami' or 'Shree Panchami' which is the fifth day of the bright fortnight of the lunar month of 'Magha'.
In the southern states of India, Saraswati Puja is conducted during the 'Navaratri' which means 'Nine Nights'.
But the actual celebrations continue during the 10th day, which is considered as 'Vijaya Dashami' or the Victorious Tenth Day.
Bengalis wear traditional outfits on this day. Boys are usually seen in payjama and punjabi while girls don saris.
In Kolkata, major markets, including Jute and jute goods, bullion, metals, oil and oilseeds and the Calcutta Stock Exchange, are closed.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow