Premium
This is an archive article published on June 3, 2011

Govt fails to calm Baba,fast unto death begins tomorrow

2 Union ministers meet Baba for nearly 5 hours; initially fruitful,talks still deadlocked.

A desperate government’s efforts failed on Friday to achieve any breakthrough with Baba Ramdev deciding to go ahead with his indefinite fast here from Saturday amidst indications that a compromise was likely in a day or two.

For nearly five hours,two senior union ministers Kapil Sibal and Subodh Kant Sahay negotiated with the yoga guru over his demands on eradication of corruption at a posh hotel,a venue totally different from Delhi airport where two days ago these two ministers with two others had attempted to placate him.

After the talks,Sibal said “we had constructive dialogue on several issues and the government has addressed all the issues Baba has raised in writing. Most of these issues are of national concern and the government is already seized of many of them”.

However,immediately thereafter,Baba Ramdev went to the Ramlila Maidan,venue of his indefinite fast,where he told a congregation that government has agreed to most of his demands.

He said,however,that he will go ahead with the fast till all his demands are met completely.

In a late night release,the cabinet secretariat disclosed its issue-wise response to Ramdev’s demands including its willingness to substantially increase the maximum punishment for corruption without defining what that would be.

The government also said confiscation of ill-gotten wealth could be considered and that it was open to the idea of more special courts to speed up the trial of corruption cases.

Story continues below this ad

Observing that they “have not yet reached a compromise”,Ramdev said “I will sit on fast (from tomorrow).”

Assuring that his agitation will be “peaceful,legal and constitutional”,the yoga guru said it will not turn violent but nobody should try to malign the campaign.

The Ministers also discussed with Ramdev the action taken by government so far to get back the black money which included commissioning of a study which will indicate the sectors and mode of generation of ill-gotten money and recommend measures for its prevention and control.

The study,to be completed in 18 months,will also assess extent of black money within the country and stashed overseas and its impact on national security,said the official paper carrying structured response of the government to Ramdev’s demands.

Story continues below this ad

About proposed actions on the black money issue,it said a committee,constituted by the government,will consult all stakeholders and submit its report within six months.

“The committee will examine the measures to strengthen the existing legal and administrative framework to deal with the menace of generation of black money through illegal means,including declaring wealth generated illegally as national asset and enacting/amending laws to confiscate and recover assets and providing exemplary punishment against its perpetrators,” it said.

As a consensus eluded at the meeting between the government and Ramdev,the former said any further suggestions will be duly considered.

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement