Satyajit Ray's 'Pather Panchali' in greatest films list
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Filmmaker Satyajit Ray's 1955 classic 'Pather Panchali' has featured in the 50 greatest films of all time list, which was dominated by Alfred Hichcock's thriller 'Vertigo'.
'Pather Panchali' (Song of the Road) was made on a shoestring budget of Rs 150,000 and featured mostly amateur actors but it is Ray's most famous film.
With 31 votes 'Pather Panchali' came at the 42 place in the Sight & Sound poll. The film is a lyrical, closely observed story of a peasant family in 1920s rural India.
Some 846 critics, programmers, academics and distributors voted the best 50 films from the world cinema in the poll, which takes place once in a decade.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM