SBI shares fall 4% on high NPAs fears
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Shares of SBI today fell by nearly 4 per cent, after the bank's reported 5.15 per cent increase in gross non-performing assets in the second quarter ended September 30.
The steep fall in SBI also saw the benchmark Sensex falling over over 160 points.
SBI shares were battered as investors were concerned over a rise in bank's NPA, marketmen said. After declining over 4 per cent during the day, SBI ended the day at Rs 2,156.35, 3.89 per cent lower on the BSE.
On NSE, the scrip plunged 3.98 per cent at Rs 2,153.15.
Following the dip in stock prices, the market value of SBI plunged by Rs 5,852 crore to Rs 1,44,700 crore.
Government-owned State Bank of India (SBI) showed signs of stress on asset quality as the gross non-performing assets ratio jumped to 5.15 per cent during the second quarter of current fiscal. Bank's profit, however, jumped 30.16 per cent to Rs 3,658.14 crore.
Bonanza Portfolio Senior Vice-President Rakesh Goyal said: "Concerns over lower provisioning of bad loans as well as increase in non-performing assets (NPAs) led to steep fall in the stock price".
"SBI's numbers were below estimate, however PAT was in line with expectations. Overall SBI disappointed on NPA front," Rikesh Parikh, Vice President Equities, Motilal Oswal Securities said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held